Important - To request clinical support including ordering medication, or if you have an admin query, please use our online platform called Klinik (Contact us Online) on the Home Page

Compass House Medical Centres

King Street Brixham TQ5 9TF and 2 Langdon Lane Galmpton TQ5 0PG

Telephone: 01803 855897

We're open

Latest News:

Carer Support

Meet Sarah our Carer Support Worker

“Hi my name is Sarah.  I am the Carer Support Worker at Compass House. My role is to support unpaid carers and to complete Carer’s Heath and Wellbeing Checks. If carers are struggling, I can work with them to offer support with regular check in calls or visits. I can also signpost to services that may be beneficial such as Brixham Does Care, Age UK, The Edge or courses/activities. I work closely with the Social Prescribing team at the Practice and can link carers with activities through them.

Identified carers can access a range of support and benefits such as annual health and wellbeing assessments where we are able to offer emotional support vouchers and one off payments of up to £200 if certain eligibility criteria is met. They can also access a dedicated carers telephone line, and through referral to Torbay Carers, free parking at hospitals when the cared for is attending appointments.

My working days at Compass House are Tuesday & Wednesday. If you feel you would benefit from some support from myself then please call the usual surgery number and ask the Care Coordinator team to pass on your details to me”

Could you be a carer?

Do you look after someone who is ill, frail, disabled or mentally ill? If so, you are a carer. We are interested in identifying carers, especially those people who may be caring without help or support. We know that carers are often “hidden,” looking after a family member or helping a friend or neighbour with day to day tasks and may not see themselves as a carer.

As of June 2021, there are 701 people at Compass House that we know are supporting a friend or relative.  We believe all these unpaid carers are important and want to actively support them to ensure the best outcomes for them and the person for whom they care.

An important aspect of caring for someone else is making sure you care for yourself too. If you are well physically and emotionally, you will feel more able to care for others.

This means eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, not smoking, drinking alcohol sensibly, visiting the doctor or other health professional if needed and taking time for yourself and regular respite breaks.

Many carers are tired and find it difficult to find the time and motivation to care for themselves. This is why identifying yourself as a carer is important so a good support system can be put in place.

All the teams at Compass House are aware of carers and the challenges they face having all completed carer awareness training. We will make allowances and help as much as possible when you call in.

There are lots of local resources that carers can access for help and support. Some of these are:

Torbay Healthy Lifestyles Team for help with diet, weight loss, exercise, stopping smoking, drinking less alcohol, relaxing and improving your mood.  Phone 0300 456 1006 or visit the website www.torbayandsouthdevon.nhs/services/healthy-lifestyles/

Carers Aid Torbay who support unpaid carers of adults and children. Please phone Steph on 01803 323510. They also offer Bay Benefits a service that offers advice and assistance with benefits and entitlements. Phone 07530790354

Brixham Does Care who will befriend and try to combat loneliness for any age. Phone 01803 857727 or email

Yes! Brixham who help with information and advice and offer various services. Phone 01803 851414 or email

Community Builders who bring people together and encourage people of all ages to get involved in their neighbourhood.

Contact Rosemary on 07703 715229 or email

or Victoria on 07469 660873 or email

or 01803 212638

TalkWorks is a free confidential talking therapy service to help you feel better and improve your mental well being. Phone 0300 555 3344 or self refer online to


Frequently Asked Questions


How can a carer access support?

Contact the Practice Carer Support Worker by calling 01803 855897 or Signposts for Carers on 01803 666620. They can arrange for you to have a carer’s assessment and access support.


What does it mean to be an unpaid carer?

It means you are not employed to be a carer but are looking after a family member/friend/neighbour and not receiving a wage. You may be getting Carers Allowance but are still an unpaid carer.


How can I get practical help to care for someone?

If you are having to provide care that you feel unable to do or you are struggling with providing necessary care you can contact Health and Social Care on 01803 219700. They will do an assessment of needs, make recommendations and help to put care in place.


Will I have to pay for carers?

Carers are not provided free. When the Health and Social Care team have done an assessment, they will assess your finances (FAB assessment).  You may be funded, part funded or you may have to fund the care yourself depending on the result of the FAB test.

The person you care for may be able to claim Attendance Allowance if they are above pension age and have needed care for at least 6 months For more info go to


I feel very isolated as a carer, is it possible to have contact with someone who understands how it feels to be a carer?

There is a carer’s phone line, manned by volunteers who have experience of being an unpaid carer. You can refer yourself or ask your Carer Support Worker to refer you. Contact Val on 07596 103291


I have had to give up work to care for someone, how do I get financial advice?

You may be able to claim Carers Allowance. For more info go to

The person you care for may be able to claim Attendance Allowance if they are over pension age and have needed care for at least 6 months. For more info go to

For financial advice contact:

Bay Benefits is a service that offers advice and assistance with benefits and entitlements. Phone 07530790354 Tuesday and Thursday, or leave a message.

Or contact Yes! On 01803 851414 or email They are able to book appointments with the Citizens Advice Bureau for more complex queries.

If you need help to fill in forms BDC, AgeUK and Yes! Are all able to help


I am a young person and give a lot of help and support to a family member/neighbour/friend is there any support for me?

If you are a young carer there are support groups especially for you.

If you are age 18 or below please contact Torbay Young Carers on 01803 895299 or email

More info at

If you are aged between 16 and 25 please contact Torbay Young Adult Carers on 01803 208455 or email

If you are aged between 25 and 35 contact Takota via Signposts for Carers 01803 666620 or visit the webpage to find a referral form.


I could do with having a holiday, how do I go about organising respite care for the person I’m caring for?

If the person you care for needs residential care you can contact individual care homes to enquire about respite care. If they are able to stay at home you can contact care agencies to arrange for carers to come in daily. For lists of these contact Signposts for Carers on 01803 666620.

Alternatively you can contact HSCT on 01803 219700 and ask advice.

For further advice contact Replacement Care Coordinator Debi on 01803 881334 or 07880 136859. She may be able to offer advice about discounted hotels for you and the person you care for, or for you alone.


What is a Carer’s Card and how do I get one?

A Carer’s Card will be sent to you when you apply to go on Torbay Carers register. You can get an application form from your surgery carer support worker or from Signposts for Carers on 01803 666620. The benefits of having the card include having a backup plan in case of emergency, if you take your cared for person to hospital you can get free parking, some chemists/shops offer a discount, you will get a quarterly newsletter with lots of useful information for carers.

 If you live in South Hams you are able to get a carers card from Devon Carers on 03456 434435 or at


What if I don’t want to be a carer anymore? Does that make me a bad person?

Everyone can reach a point when they can’t cope with caring any more, which does not make you a bad person.

If you cannot continue with care contact Health and Social Care on 01803 219700

If this is something you want to talk about contact our carer support worker or a doctor or nurse who may be able to refer you for counselling.

TalkWorks a free confidential talking therapy service to help you feel better and improve your mental well being. Phone 0300 555 3344 or self refer online to

You may want to talk to other family members to see if they can help more?

If you cannot continue with care contact Health and Social Care on 01803 219700.


  • Monday
    08:00 to 18:00
  • Tuesday
    08:00 to 20:00
    *18:00-20:00 Extended Access
  • Wednesday
    08:00 to 18:00
  • Thursday
    08:00 to 18:00
  • Friday
    08:00 to 18:00
  • Saturday
  • Sunday


  • Monday
    08:00 to 17:30
  • Tuesday
    08:00 to 17:30
  • Wednesday
    08:00 to 17:30
  • Thursday
    08:00 to 17:30
  • Friday
    07:00 to 17:00
    * 7AM-8AM Extended Access
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
NHS A-Z Conditions
Find Local Services
Live Well
Translate »